The operating room, also called the OR, is staffed by a team of highly trained professionals and provides the most sterile and safe surgical surroundings possible. Members of the surgical team:
- Surgeon- Your neurosurgeon may work alone or with an assistant depending on the surgery and your individual needs. He is responsible for your overall surgical care.
- Anesthesiologist- A doctor who specializes in anesthesia.
- Nurse anesthetist- A nurse who specializes in anesthesia
- Surgical technologist or scrub nurse- Sets up the instruments needed for surgery and assists the surgeon.
- Circulating nurse- Prepares the OR and ensures sterile methods are followed. Assists with the overall needs of the team.